Download a copy of the Centaur Forage Sorghum factsheet.
Centaur is characterised by prolific tillering and fast recovery following grazing or cutting. Its fine stems make it ideal for smaller livestock such as sheep and also for hay production. This ensures ease of management, particularly over large areas in periods of wet weather when cutting may be delayed.
• Sudan x Sudan Grass Hybrid
• Fine stemmed for improved conservation quality
• Photoperiod sensitive with delayed flowering
• Increased tillering
• Good option as a forage or for green manure crops
• Higher forage quality than other sorghum types
• Lower prussic acid than other forage sorghums
• Rapid regrowth and recovery
• High yields with high quality
• Excellent for hay and round bale silage
• Maintains quality if grazing or cutting is delayed
A range of seed treatments available. Please contact your local supplier for details.
Its fine stems make it ideal for smaller livestock such as sheep and also for hay production. This ensures ease of management, particularly over large areas in periods of wet weather when cutting may be delayed. Grazing or cutting should not be unnecessarily delayed, and it is recommended to graze or cut the crop when it is around 1m-1.5m (3-4ft) tall. Favourable conditions will be conducive to multiple cuts or grazing throughout the season.
Suggested Sowing Rates:
Marginal Dryland:* 3-7kg/ha
Good Dryland:* 7-20kg/ha
*Dryland planting rates based on good stored soil moisture at time of sowing.