Download a copy of the Warlock Forage Oat Factsheet.
Warlock forage oat is the latest release from the leading Forage Oat Breeding Program jointly funded by Heritage Seeds and the Queensland Department of Agriculture & Fisheries. This partnership has produced industry staples such as Wizard, Aladdin and Genie. Warlock has an erect early growth habit, tall plant height, high tillering and medium thickness leaves and stems. Speed to first graze is very quick which gives producers the opportunity to feed stock earlier. Warlock has outstanding forage yield potential, topping breeding trials over four years of work in south-east Queensland. It is quick out of the ground, and in early sown trials shows good plant vigour when compared with other varieties. As with most varieties in the market, Warlock is known to be susceptible to at least one known pathotype of leaf rust, hence it is recommended to not be grown in areas prone to the disease such as coastal regions of central and southern Queensland and the Northern Rivers region of New South Wales. If leaf rust is present, it is recommended that an appropriate fungicide is applied to reduce impact.
• Highest forage yield of all varieties from the QLD DAF Forage Oat Breeding Program, 19% higher total yield than Genie and 7% over Wizard in four years of trials
• Early growth is quick and vigorous
• Similar appearance to Genie but slightly taller, higher tillering and later in maturity
• Excellent recovery from grazing
• Medium / late maturity
• Suited to both dryland and irrigation
• Susceptible to at least one known pathotype of leaf rust.
Normal planting time is March – April. Recommended sowing rates are suggested as follows:
Plant Breeders Rights (PBR)
This variety is registered under Plant Breeders Rights (PBR) in Australia. Unauthorised commercial propagation or any sale, conditioning, export, import or stocking of propagating material isan infringement under the Plant Breeders Rights Act (1994). Any breach of this legislation will leave the grower liable for prosecution.